An adrenal crisis is defined as a life- threatening, medical emergency caused by insufficient levels of the hormone, cortisol. It will lead to death if left untreated and must be quickly addressed with the administration of an emergency cortisol injection. Adrenal patients should always carry an emergency injection and administer it immediately in the event of an adrenal crisis. Patients should also wear an identifying medical alert bracelet that states they are steroid dependent.
Adrenal Alternatives Foundation has created a QR code which can be scanned to instantly access the lifesaving information on how to administer an emergency cortisol injection to treat an adrenal crisis.
How to Scan a QR Code
- Open the QR Code reader on your phone.
- Hold your device over a QR Code so that it’s clearly visible within your smartphone’s screen. Two things can happen when you correctly hold your smartphone over a QR Code.
- The phone automatically scans the code.
- On some readers, you have to press a button to snap a picture, not unlike the button on your smartphone camera.
- If necessary, press the button. Your smartphone reads the code and navigates to the intended destination, which doesn’t happen instantly. It may take a few seconds on most devices.
Inject Don’t Neglect!
Always administer an emergency cortisol injection in the event of an adrenal crisis.
This information was brought to you by the Adrenal Alternatives Foundation for educational use only and is not meant to provide medical care or legal advice.
More information on managing adrenal disease can be found on in the book A patient’s guide to managing adrenal insufficiency.
We appreciate all contributions which allow us to further our mission, Education, Encouragement and Advocacy for all adrenal disease.